IMPORTANT – READCAREFULLY: This Firmware License Agreement (“FLA”) is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and RED.COM, LLC. (“RED”) for software owned by RED and its affiliated companies and its third party suppliers and licensors that accompanies this FLA, which includes software, documentation, interfaces, fonts and any data that comes with the Firmware and updates (“Software”). The Software is licensed, not sold, to you by RED for use only under the terms of this FLA. RED and its licensors retain ownership of the Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. RED grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this FLA: You are granted a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the Software on a single RED Camera.
2. RESERVATION OF RIGHTSANDOWNERSHIP. RED and its licensors retain all right, title and interest in the Software and all copies thereof, including all copyright and other intellectual property rights. RED and its licensors reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this FLA. The Software is licensed, not sold.
3. LIMITATIONS ON ENDUSERRIGHTS. You agree that only RED has the right to enhance or otherwise modify the Software. You have no rights to any source code for the Software. You agree not to, or cause or permit, directly or indirectly the modification, disassembly, recompilation, or reverse engineering of the Software or any part thereto, or otherwise attempt to gain access to the source code to the Software. You agree not to create derivative works or cause or permit others, directly or indirectly to create derivative works based upon the Software. The Software is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than once device. Under no circumstances shall you sell, license, sub-license, publish, and display, distribute, rent, lease, assign, or otherwise transfer to a third party the Software or any copy thereof, in whole or in part.
4. CONSENT TO USE OF DATA. You agree that RED and its affiliates may collect, maintain, process, transmit, and use technical, diagnostic, usage and related information, including but not limited to information about your RED Camera, computer, system and application software, usage, content, and peripherals. RED may use the information to provide and improve RED’s products and services, including providing the information to RED’s licensors. RED may also provide the information to third party advertisers for the purpose of providing advertising statistics without identifying you personally. RED will not disclose this information in a form that personally identifies you.
5. UPDATES. RED and its licensors have no obligation to provide updates, bug fixes or error correction. If RED provides updates, such updates may be automatic and may delete or change the nature or features of the Software, including functions you may rely upon and you may lose data. You consent to updates by RED. Any updates shall be deemed and shall constitute part of the Software and the terms of this FLA apply to such updates.
6. SOFTWARETRANSFER. You may not transfer this FLA or the rights to the Software granted herein to any third party without the written consent of RED. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the FLA terms.
7. EXPORTRESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Software is subject to export restrictions of various countries. You agree to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to the Software, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, as well as end user, end use, and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments.
8. TERMINATION. This FLA is effective until terminated. Your rights under this License will terminate automatically without notice from RED if you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions of this FLA. Upon termination of this FLA, you must cease all use of the Software and destroy all copies, full or partial, of the Software. The following Sections survive any termination of this FLA: Sections 2 – 4, 6 – 18.
9. CONTENT. The Software may be capable of being used by you to capture, store, process and use content by you and third parties. Such content may be protected by copyright, other intellectual property laws, and/or agreements. You agree to use the Software only in compliance with such laws and agreements that apply to such content.
10. HIGHRISKACTIVITIES. The Software is not fault-tolerant and is not designed, manufactured or intended for use for hazardous environments or high risk activities requiring a fail-safe performance. You agree not to use the Software with activities in which the failure of the RED Camera could lead to death, personal injury, or severe physical or environmental damage. RED and its licensors specifically disclaim any express or implied warranty of fitness for high risk activities.
11. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. You expressly acknowledge and agree that the use of the Software is at your sole risk. The Software is provided “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind. REDANDITSLICENSORSEXPRESSLYDISCLAIMSANDMAKES NO WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS OR TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WHETHER BY STATUTE, COMMONLAW, CUSTOM, USAGE OR OTHERWISE AS TO THESOFTWARE OR ANYCOMPONENTTHEREOF, INCLUDINGBUTNOTLIMITED TO NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRDPARTYRIGHTS, INTEGRATION, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORYQUALITY OR FITNESSFORANYPARTICULARPURPOSE. REDANDITSLICENSORS DO NOTWARRANTTHATTHEFUNCTIONSCONTAINED IN THESOFTWAREWILLMEETYOURREQUIREMENTS, OR THATTHEOPERATION OF THESOFTWAREWILL BE CORRECT. FURTHERMORE, REDANDITSLICENSORS DO NOTWARRANT OR MAKEANYREPRESENTATIONSREGARDINGTHEUSE OF THERESULTS OF THEUSE OF THESOFTWARE IN TERMS OF ITSCORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, PERFORMANCE OR OTHERWISE. NO ORAL OR WRITTENINFORMATION OR ADVICEGIVEN BY RED OR ITSLICENSORS OR THEIRRESPECTIVEAUTHORIZEDREPRESENTATIVESHALLCREATE A WARRANTY. RED and its licensors provide no warranty that any device, software or data will not be damaged by the Software.
12. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. REDANDITSLICENSORSWILLNOT BE LIABLEFORANYINCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIALDAMAGESFORBREACH OF ANYWARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICTLIABILITY OR ANYOTHERLEGALTHEORYRELATED TO THISSOFTWARE. REDANDITSLICENSORSWILLNOT BE LIABLEFORANYLOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF USE OF THESOFTWARE OR ANYASSOCIATEDHARDWARE OR DEVICE, DOWNTIMEAND USER’S DOWNTIME, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTEGOODS OR SERVICES, OR ANYCLAIM OR DEMANDAGAINSTYOU BY ANYOTHERPARTY, EVEN IF RED’S ANDITS LICENSOR’S HAVEBEENADVISED OF THEPOSSIBILITY OF SUCHDAMAGES. IN NO EVENTSHALL RED’S OR ITS LICENSOR’S AGGREGATELIABILITYUNDER OR IN CONNECTIONWITHTHISAGREEMENT BE GREATERTHANFIFTY U.S. DOLLARS ($50.00). YOUACKNOWLEDGETHATTHESELIMITATIONSAREREASONABLE, ANDFURTHERAGREETHATTHESELIMITATIONSSHALLAPPLYNOTWITHSTANDINGANYFAILURE OF ESSENTIALPURPOSE OF ANYLIMITEDREMEDY.
13. INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold RED and its licensors harmless from and against any claim or lawsuits, including reasonable attorneys’ fees that arise or result from your use of the Software and/or from your breach of any of the terms of this FLA.
14. U.S. GOVERNMENTENDUSERS. The Software is licensed only with “restricted rights” and as “commercial items” consisting of “commercial software” and “commercial software documentation” with only those rights as are granted to all other end users pursuant to the terms and conditions herein.
15. AS APPLICABLE: THISPRODUCT IS LICENSEDUNDERTHEAVCPATENTPORTFOLIOLICENSEFORTHEPERSONALUSE OF A CONSUMER OR OTHERUSES IN WHICH IT DOESNOTRECEIVETHEREMUNERATION TO (I) ENCODEVIDEO IN COMPLIANCEWITHAVCSTANDARD (“AVCVIDEO”) AND/OR (II) DECODEAVCVIDEOTHATWASENCODED BY A CONSUMERENGAGED IN A PERSONALACTIVITYAND/OR WASOBTAINEDFROM A VIDEOPROVIDERLICENSED TO PROVIDEAVCVIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIEDFORANYOTHERUSE. ADDITIONALINFORMATIONMAY BE OBTAINEDFROMMPEG LA, LLC. SEEHTTP://WWW.MPEGLA.COM.
16. GOVERNINGLAWANDJURISDICTION. This FLA shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, without reference to it principles of conflicts of law. The parties consent to exclusive jurisdiction in Orange County, California for any dispute arising from the terms and conditions of this FLA. The parties waive their right to have an action under this FLA brought or tired elsewhere. The prevailing party in any action under this FLA shall be entitled to recover its reasonable attorneys’ fees in addition to any other damages or other awards ordered by the court.
17. THIRDPARTYBENEFICIARY. For all purposes of this FLA, each of the licensors of any of the Software shall be expressly deemed an intended third party beneficiary of this FLA and shall have the right to enforce the terms and conditions of this FLA.
18. ENTIREAGREEMENT; SEVERABILITY. This FLA is the entire agreement between you and RED relating to the Software and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals and representations with respect to the Software or any other subject matter covered by this FLA. If any provision of this FLA is held to be void, invalid, unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions shall continue in full force and effect.